Sealing of Records
Our experienced team of lawyers is here to help.
Have you been living with a bad decision from the past where you were cited or arrested? Is that blemish on your criminal record preventing you from getting meaningful employment? We can help! Nevada Revised Statute 179.2405 et seq may allow for that bad decision to be sealed from view of potential employers, landlords, and professional employment boards!
Nevada offers people who have certain criminal records the ability to seal their record from public view. While record sealing is a very laborious process, the statues have now changed to make it easier for you to seal your record under the appropriate circumstances. If you’ve tried to seal your record in the past, and could not due to the constraints of the statute, you now may have a chance to clear your name! Each sealing case is decided upon its own merits. Whether you have tried to seal your record before and failed, or you are trying to seal your record for the first time, it’s important to get legal help from a knowledgeable Nevada law firm that understands the complicated laws and who can guide you through the process.
Once the sealing process is completed, you can then deny the incident ever happened when asked by a boss or potential employer. For example, employers and landlords commonly ask job applicants and rental applicants whether they have ever been convicted of (or perhaps even arrested for) a criminal offense. Employers might not hire—and landlords might not rent to—people who answer “yes” to these questions. The good news is that, in some cases, you may be able to get an arrest or conviction sealed from your record. The sealing process also keeps other individuals from seeing your criminal record in the vast majority of cases.
We make it easy for you!! In fact, our process ensures that all you will need to do is fill out the appropriate paperwork, send it in to us and we do the rest! We get a copy of your Nevada SCOPE (criminal record), we pay the filing fees to the courts, and if need be we conduct the hearing and argue before the judge.
While there are statutory waiting periods before you can petition the court to have your case sealed, the vast majority of cases are eventually sealable!
Under most circumstances a person may petition the court to seal their records relating to a conviction of:
- A category A felony, a crime of violence or burglary after 10 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from parole or probation, whichever occurs later;
- A category B, C or D felony after 5 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from parole or probation, whichever occurs later;
- A category E felony after 2 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from parole or probation, whichever occurs later;
- A gross misdemeanor after 2 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from probation, whichever occurs later;
- A misdemeanor conviction for battery/domestic violence or DUI, after 7 years from the date of release from actual custody or from the date when the person is no longer under a suspended sentence, whichever occurs later;
- If the offense is punished as a misdemeanor battery, harassment, stalking, or a violation of a temporary or extended order for protection, after 2 years from the date of release from actual custody or from the date when the person is no longer under a suspended sentence, whichever occurs later; or
- Any other misdemeanor after 1 year from the date of release from actual custody or from the date when the person is no longer under a suspended sentence, whichever occurs later.
We are able to seal your criminal records whether you pled guilty, no contest or had your case dismissed! We can seal criminal records from North Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Henderson, and Boulder City!
Whether you live in-state, out of state or out of the country, we can streamline the sealing process to clear up your criminal record! Our firm offers reasonable all-inclusive rates as well as flexible payment plans!